Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Cinnamon Challenge

Alright so this is nothing profound, but my sister showed me this video on youtube and I want to share it with everyone I know. It is called the 'Cinnamon Challenge' and apparently this was an internet meme that I was completely unaware of. Humans are not built to eat cinnamon. Yes, we put it on toast, we put it in our tea and maybe we get very adventurous and put it in our curries or tabouleh salads (so good). But you can’t eat it on its own, not even a teaspoon of it. It does not dissolve in the saliva of your mouth. And because it isn't soluble, you can’t physically swallow it and you will choke until it is ejected from your mouth. But it’s cinnamon right? Remember how we put it in our food and so it doesn’t sound so harmless! So lots of people on the internet have taken the “cinnamon challenge”—to try to swallow a teaspoon of cinnamon. And no one has been able to.  Despite how we are witnessing what is likely a near-death experience, these videos are still hilarious. I feel almost as terrible a person as when I watch It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but if you press play, you’ll understand. This woman is particularly delightful because she is very confident (obviously hasn’t watched other cinnamon challenge videos) and because she doesn’t just take one teaspoon, she takes an entire ladle. 




No comments:

Post a Comment